Obviously I haven’t kept up with this blog, since it has been four years since I last posted. I wrote half a post in the middle, that I just read and wished I’d finished writing, but never did. It may be a decrepit blog, but really big events require poetry, and sometimes poetry wants to be shared, so here I am.
It has been a big few years: Dave and I moved to Seattle, got married, and I finished my dissertation and became Dr. Cristie. But the very biggest event happened in April, with the birth of our first baby. I understand a lot more about parents now, because it’s true that your life immediately changes when that baby enters the world and becomes your world. I also understand more about mothers, because wow, bringing a baby into the world takes an immense amount of effort, however you do it!
So. I birthed a baby (at home). The baby needed a poem. The birth needed a poem. And then the midwives needed a poem. It may have taken me five months to birth these poems into the world, but here they are. To everyone who helped with the experience that made these poems possible: thank you. You’re amazing. I can’t imagine having done it without you.
Zephyr
You are a maker of entrances
arm-raising victories
of waiting and drama and intensity
You are a bundle of warmth
a curled puddle in my arms
limp-limbed and full-bellied
You are forty-one weeks and five days of anticipation
five hours of strength and pain
one moment of determination
one moment of flying
You are my crackle-skinned joy
molting into kissable cheeks
plumping fingers and toes
bright eyes widening at windows
You are milk-faced distractibility
an epic of squirm
with a final chapter of melted satisfaction
You are my challenge
my new meaning
my wonder
my forever-changed.
4/17-4/27, 2013
Zephyr at 1 month and 4.5 months
Sixty Seconds
So much nestles in that moment
filling it to over brim
expanding the walls of temporal possibility
I curl around my belly
clutching my feet as if I can kiss my toes
I have worked so hard
my body’s preparations smoothing the passage
between my bones
until betrayed by my flesh
Can I be too healthy to give birth?
Can I be too strong?
In that moment I strain
wondering if this is possible
until I hear words floating toward me
baby and heartbeat and episiotomy
She says I have to do it now and
I suddenly find the impossible
as if I am more than my body
as if I have been given the strength
of a thousand mothers before me
I pull on my feet
clenching my belly
roaring with strength and pain and desperation
And in that moment
he arrives
with his own roar
his own essence
his own possibilities.
-- 4/30/13
New Zephyr
My Midwives
(to Taylor and Christine, with gratitude and love)
I want to write a poem for my midwives
like I did for my son and my self
I want them to know they are worthy
of my words and creativity
of my occasional attempts at eloquence
I want to write a poem for my midwives
to capture their meaning inside verse
to somehow disentangle my thoughts and memories into words
But how can I possibly describe the primal trust
sourced so deep in my belly that
I remember it even when I have forgotten myself
when my world has condensed into
this motion
this pain
this sound
this pattern
and I can still hear a voice and listen
trusting
How can I explain the space where
I no longer believe I am capable
yet I must believe because they do
and because they believe in me I do
so I find the strength to
move this way
rise that way
bend there
push here
as she tells me and I listen
believing
How can I express the comfort
in knowing they know me
that I will be heard
that my desires
and wishes
and hopes
have been accepted
that I speak and they listen
comforting
I want these words to fit together better
to birth a complicated loving completeness
like I birthed a complicated loving being
I want to honor these women
and their work and their love
that they spread to enchant so many new lives
and somehow
I want them to know
deep down in their bellies
how special my memories are
because they are here.
5/23/13
Midwives Extraordinaire

1 comment:
OH my! These each capture the moments beautifully and what a lovely photo of your midwives, each lovingly looking at you (even though you are not in the photo).
To each of you: you are all extraordinary stars, bringing into or being in the world at the moment, in the moment and brimming with the love, joy, and challenge of the new birth.
It was an honor to be present at this event! love MOM
Post a Comment